Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Economy

Philippines bans travelers from new virus epicenter Indonesia

THE PHILIPPINES on Wednesday banned travelers from Indonesia, Asia’s new coronavirus epicenter, after it overtook India in daily infections.

The travel ban will be from July 16 to 31 and will cover passengers from Indonesia and those with travel history to Indonesia in the past 14 days, presidential spokesman Herminio “Harry” L. Roque, Jr. said in a statement.

Passengers already in transit from Indonesia and who arrive before 12:01AM of July 16 will be allowed entry as long as they get quarantined for two weeks even if they test negative.

“This action is undertaken to prevent the further spread and community transmission of COVID-19 variants in the Philippines,” Mr. Roque said.

Indonesia is now considered Asia’s new coronavirus epicenter after it surpassed India’s daily infections, according to a report by Nikkei Asia.

The world’s largest island country experienced record-breaking infections this week, posting 47,899 cases on Tuesday, it said.

Meanwhile, the Philippines has extended its travel ban on India and six other countries, where a coronavirus variant has caused a surge in infections, until July 30, Mr. Roque told a televised news briefing.

Also covered by the ban that was supposed to end on July 15 was Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Oman and the United Arab Emirates.

An inter-agency task force also ordered a review of testing and quarantine protocols for incoming travelers from these countries and other high-risk nations, Mr. Roque said.

The Philippines issued the ban to prevent the entry of more contagious coronavirus variants including the Delta one that was first detected in India.

The Department of Health (DoH) reported 3,806 coronavirus infections on Wednesday, bringing the total to 1.48 million.

The death toll rose to 26,232 after 140 more patients died, while recoveries increased by 6,296 to 1.41 million, it said in a bulletin. 

There were 44,408 active cases, 90% of which were classified as mild, 3.5% were asymptomatic, 2.8% were severe, 1.95% were moderate and 1.7% were critical.

DoH said nine duplicates had been removed from the tally, eight of which were tagged as recoveries.

The agency said 105 recoveries had been reclassified as deaths. Five laboratories failed to submit data on July 12.

Meanwhile, Mr. Roque said task force recommendations on the next lockdown levels for the rest of the month had been prepared and would be submitted to Mr. Duterte once Metro Manila mayors have appealed.

The task force would have to meet to discuss the appeals, he said.

The general community quarantine “with some restrictions” enforced in the National Capital Region expires after July 15.

Mr. Roque said easing quarantine rules in Metro Manila would depend on coronavirus data. “We will follow the established criteria of looking at the attack rates and health care utilization rate.”

About 43% of intensive care unit (ICU) beds in Metro Manila had been occupied as of July 13, he said.

About 37 % of isolation beds and 32% of ward beds in the region were occupied, while 33% of ventilators were used.

Mr. Roque said 56% of ICU beds in the country had been occupied, while 46% of isolation beds and 42% of ward beds were used. He added that 37% of ventilators had been used.

Coronavirus infections in Manila, Makati, Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, Mandaluyong, Malabon, Navotas and San Juan rose in the past two weeks, the Department of Health (DoH) said on Tuesday.

Makati and San Juan remained at “high-risk” as their average daily attack rate stood at 9.76 and 8.95 cases for 100,000 people, respectively.

While the “overall case risk classification remained low,” some regions were facing surging coronavirus infections.

The Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), Western Visayas and Davao region were considered high-risk areas due to their high average daily attack rate and ICU occupancy rate.

The ICU use rate stood at 68.54% in CAR, 87.34% in Western Visayas and 81.41% in the Davao region as of July 10. — Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.
Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest

Investing

People living in rural areas are having to travel further to find somewhere to withdraw and deposit cash free of charge, says the City...

Investing

Ministers have ruled out extending the list of workers who are exempt from self-isolation rules and warned that the August 16 date for lifting...

Economy

The House of Representatives will adopt the Senate’s version of the proposed measure taxing Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO), a key lawmaker said on...

Economy

President Rodrigo R. Duterte on Friday approved the recommendation of his pandemic task force to enforce stricter quarantine rules in Manila, the capital, and...

Economy

Thirty-seven percent of Filipinos are optimistic that their lives will improve over the next 12 months, a non-commissioned survey shows.  Of the 1,200 respondents in Social Weather Stations’...

Economy

Six electricity consumers on Friday filed a complaint with the Ombudsman against Department of Energy (DoE) Secretary Alfonso G. Cusi, alleging that the government official has neglected his duties.  “In his five...

You May Also Like

Investing

Having a good Instagram marketing agency to back up your Instagram account is an absolute must going into the new year. With competition stronger...

Economy

US President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., will rely on ally countries to supply the bulk of the metals needed to build electric vehicles and focus on...

Investing

As a traditionally rigid insurance industry becomes bogged down by antiquated processes and operations, a handful of industry leaders are seeking to shake things...

Economy

THE Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has warned the public from investing or to stop any investment in a group named Maxxprofit Computer Trading...

Disclaimer: SmartRetirementReport.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2021 SmartRetirementReport. All Rights Reserved.

Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.



Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!