Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Economy

China hits Trump adviser for creating ‘chaos’

THE CHINESE government on Monday accused US National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien of inciting hostilities after his remarks on the South China Sea dispute and Chinese actions in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

“He blatantly accused China on no ground, grossly interfered in China’s internal affairs, deliberately exaggerated regional tensions and attempted to sow discord between China and the Philippines,” the Chinese Embassy said in a statement on Monday evening.

Mr. O’Brien in a teleconference from Manila on Monday reaffirmed US support for its allies in the Indo-Pacific region against China over its unfair trade practices, intellectual property theft, as well as “human rights violations in Xinjiang with the Uyghur people, the extinguishing of the flame of democracy in Hong Kong and attempts to coerce Taiwan.”

He said there is a consensus among US republicans and democrats on the US stand against China’s aggression in the region.

The embassy said Mr. O’Brien’s statements countered the intention of his visits to the Philippines and Vietnam to promote peace and stability, instead creating chaos to serve US interests.

“We firmly oppose these remarks which are full of Cold War mentality and wantonly incite confrontation,” it added.

China said the US is not a party to the sea dispute but it frequently sends warships and planes to the South China “for military provocations and goes as far as using the electronic codes of civil aviation planes of the Philippines and other regional countries to carry out espionage flights.”

“The US is the biggest driver of the militarization of the South China Sea and the most dangerous external factor endangering peace and stability,” it added.

It “fanned the flames everywhere, stirred up confrontation among the countries in the region, interfered in the efforts of China and relevant ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries to peacefully negotiate and manage disputes, and seriously undermined regional peace and stability,” it added.

China further noted that the US invokes provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea even if it had refused to join it.

The United States government on Monday turned over almost a billion pesos worth of precision-guided missiles and munitions to the Philippine military to help it fight terrorists linked to Islamic State in the country’s south.

It donated precision-guided missiles and munitions, including 100 TOW-2A missiles, 12 ITAS, and 24 MK-82s worth $18 million or about P868 million.

Mr. O’Brien, who led the turnover ceremonies, met with his Philippine counterpart Hermogenes C. Esperon, Jr. and Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro L. Locsin, Jr.

He reaffirmed the US commitment to activate the Mutual Defense Treaty in case the Philippines is attacked by an enemy.

Mr. O’Brien also welcomed Manila’s decision to defer a plan to end a visiting forces agreement (VFA) — a military pact on the deployment of troops for war games — with the US.

‘NATIONAL INTEREST’
The Philippine presidential palace on Tuesday said the country would keep its hands off rising tensions between the US and China.

“We do not want to take part in that drive for hegemony,” presidential spokesman Harry L. Roque told an online news briefing.

“We will assert our national interest and we would want a peaceful resolution to the West Philippine Sea dispute,” he added, referring to eastern parts of the South China Sea that include the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

The Chinese Embassy said there had been agreements at the recently concluded China-ASEAN Summit to improve dialogue and advance consultations on a South China Sea Code of Conduct, which seeks to ease tensions in the waterway.

“We urge the US side to respect China’s territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests in the South China Sea, respect the joint efforts of China and ASEAN countries for maintaining a peaceful and stable South China Sea and stop interfering and inciting confrontation,” it added.

Mr. O’Brien on Monday said the US in July aligned its official position on the 2016 United Nations arbitral ruling on the South China Sea. The tribunal had favored the Philippines and rejected China’s historical nine-dash line claims to more than 80% of the waterway.

The resources in the disputed waters “belong to the Philippine people,” Mr. O’Brien said.  “They don’t belong to some other country, that just because they may be big, and they may be bigger than the Philippines,” he added, alluding to China.

“That’s just wrong, and that’s why Secretary Pompeo said in February: ‘Any armed attack on the Philippine Armed Forces, aircraft or public vessels in the South China Sea will trigger our mutual defense obligations,’” Mr. O’Brien said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in February 2019 said any attacks on Philippine aircraft or ships in the South China Sea would trigger a response from the US under the Mutual Defense Treaty.

His comments sought to reassure the Philippines amid China’s island-building activities in the South China Sea. — Charmaine A. Tadalan

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.
Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest

Economy

Finding a property to settle in after years of being in the pandemic may leave home seekers and smart investors wary of whether their...

Economy

  Spotlight is BusinessWorld’s sponsored section that allows advertisers to amplify their brand and connect with BusinessWorld’s audience by enabling them to publish their...

Economy

As part of its development agenda for Pakil in Laguna, Ahunan Power Inc. (Ahunan) launched a corporate social responsibility (CSR) program dubbed “Tayo Na...

Economy

By Kyle Aristophere T. Atienza and Revin Mikhael D. Ochave, Reporters AN INVESTIGATION is underway over the “illegal” sugar importation order that was aimed...

Economy

By Diego Gabriel C. Robles THE PHILIPPINES now aims to become a high-income economy by 2045 at the latest, Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Arsenio M....

Economy

THE SY SIBLINGS remained the richest in the Philippines, despite a $4-billion drop in their net worth in 2022, according to Forbes Asia. The...

You May Also Like

Investing

Having a good Instagram marketing agency to back up your Instagram account is an absolute must going into the new year. With competition stronger...

Economy

Ivermectin, an existing drug against parasites including head lice, has had a checkered history when it comes to treating COVID-19. The bulk of studies...

Investing

Insomnia is the most common sleep disorder in the global population. Therefore, it is a problem that many people suffer or have suffered throughout...

Investing

Instagram still holds the top spot for social media in terms of building brand reputation and expanding business potential. Every day, more and more...

Disclaimer: SmartRetirementReport.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively "The Company") do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2021 SmartRetirementReport. All Rights Reserved.